S6MKII STANDARD TEACHING & RESEARCH FLUME
Many applications in fluid mechanics are associated with the flow of water through an open channel where the water has a free surface that is exposed to the air at atmospheric pressure.
The flumes are available in different lengths from 5 to 15m in 2.5m and examples are installed in educational and research establishments throughout the world.
A comprehensive range of accessories, and measuring instruments is available including discharge control, wave generation and a closed loop for sediment transport studies.
- A self-contained glass sided tilting flume for fluid mechanics laboratory experiments, project work and research activities
- The flume working channel is assembled from modular sections of 2.5m length. A wide choice of standard lengths are available from 5m upwards
- The flume cross-section is 300mm wide by 450mm deep
- A fabricated high precision stainless steel bed provides excellent strength and rigidity, eliminating the need for a separate under-frame.
- No adjustments other than the jacking stations are necessary in order to set up and maintain the equipment, achieving typical bed deformations better than 1mm
- Each flume incorporates a discharge tank fitted with an adjustable overshot weir and draught tube to avoid splashing and noise
- An electro-magnetic flow meter is incorporated as standard
- A comprehensive range of optional accessories and instruments is available to supplement the capabilities of the basic flume
- Closed-loop recirculation is an option for sediment transport studies
Walls: Toughened glass
Bed: Exclusively fabricated from stainless steel
End tanks: GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic)
Sump tanks & pipework: PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) & PE (polyethylene)
Pump: Close-coupled centrifugal
Flow regulation valve: Hand wheel operated butterfly
+ve slope 1:40 max (1.4º)
-ve slope 1:200 max (0.28º)
Flow meter: Electro-magnetic
Maximum flow rate: 30 Litres/sec
Bed stability: 1.0mm (typical) at 400mm water depth
Side wall stability: 0.5mm (typical) at 400mm water depth
Working section dimensions
Type: Tilting or standard flume
Length (in 2.5m modular increments): 5m
Above lists standard size flume, available in free discharge or recirculation.
Bespoke lengths and widths can also be offered.